Skip to main content

Post 2-March 20th, 2025

Overall the concepts we read in Chapter 5 of the Educational Psychology book were ones that I’ve studied previously in undergrad classes (I say previously but it was over a decade ago) or have a vague remembering of the name of the theory or a dusty recollection of the concepts.  



Bandura is right on the money with the idea that we must model desired behaviors.  Just today for a new student who is on the spectrum, I had to model my expectations of my classroom.  The student in previous classes would crawl under tables and scream to avoid work.  I explained to her that in Mr. Guest’s class, we only crawl under tables when we are rewarded with fun Friday reading times where I turn the lights of the classroom down and kids can read while lying under the tables.  I then modeled what sitting at the desk looked like, and showed the “wrong” way to do things.  I would stomp my foot and squeal, this surprised the little girl that I would do this but it gets the point across.  The students who have been in my class this year and last giggled because they understood what I was doing. After all, I taught them all the same way with explicit instruction.  



Students, especially those on the autism spectrum who struggle with social cues and normative behaviors in classroom settings, need that direct model of correct and incorrect behaviors.  I would argue that in the modern classroom, all students need direct instruction on desired behaviors to ensure understanding as well as what the expectations are for the classroom.  


The Premack Principle of pairing undesired activities with desired or enjoyable activities to support students in completing the undesired activities is something that we in the Special Education world do all the time but I never knew there was a name for it.  I use this principle to help my students in the special education classroom complete tasks they normally avoid such as writing or solving math problems.  


I feel know having a firmer foundation of these theories and techniques can support me in creating better accommodations for my students in their Individualized Education Programs (IEPs).  Knowing how to better schedule reinforcements as the undesired behaviors begin the process of extinction is very helpful because I feel that I don’t have a firm grasp of when is the right time to pull reinforcements or what is too much pulling away where the student goes into “withdrawal” like state and all that hard work goes down the toilet.  


Overall these theories are interesting and helpful once I can get these concepts wrapped around my head and put into the context of my classroom and students in a manner that works for me and them.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post 5- April 7th. Chapter 11

  Creating a Positive Learning Environment in Special Education Creating a positive learning environment in my special education small group classroom requires careful planning and attention to the unique needs of each student. I can begin by designing interactive lessons that are engaging and aligned with the students' learning goals. It is important to set clear rules for behavior and maintain simple, consistent routines to help prevent disruptions. Smooth transitions between activities and a positive attitude can keep students interested and focused. Effective time management is crucial in small group settings. I can minimize wasted time by keeping procedures fast and reducing interruptions. Lessons should be crafted to actively involve students and keep their attention on the tasks. When misbehavior occurs, I can handle it using nonverbal cues, like making eye contact, or by praising positive actions to encourage better behavior. Having clear rules and applying consequences f...

Post 4 - March 31st

  Direct Instruction vs Student-Centered Instruction.  In my classroom, I use only direct instruction as the only means of instruction.  I teach in a special education small group math class for grades 3-5.  While the ideas of student-centered learning are a nice idea and could be possible for older students, maybe middle or high school age students, that version of instruction would be very difficult for my students to the point of almost cruelty.   I have tried to implement student-centered learning in previous years but always felt that it led to students not understanding what they were supposed to do or simply not caring to put in the effort to try to learn or complete the challenge.  Again, since I teach elementary-age students as well as students with cognitive delays with IQs usually lower than their general education counterparts, student-centered instruction may not be the most appropriate form of instruction.   Using direct instruc...