Direct Instruction vs Student-Centered Instruction. In my classroom, I use only direct instruction as the only means of instruction. I teach in a special education small group math class for grades 3-5. While the ideas of student-centered learning are a nice idea and could be possible for older students, maybe middle or high school age students, that version of instruction would be very difficult for my students to the point of almost cruelty.
I have tried to implement student-centered learning in previous years but always felt that it led to students not understanding what they were supposed to do or simply not caring to put in the effort to try to learn or complete the challenge. Again, since I teach elementary-age students as well as students with cognitive delays with IQs usually lower than their general education counterparts, student-centered instruction may not be the most appropriate form of instruction.
Using direct instruction allows a more sequential path of learning for my students that they can find success in. Using the direct instruction method uses the sequential beginning/introduction of the topic as well as reteaching prerequisite skills, the middle which is the actual teaching of the standard, and the ending which is where students have a chance to practice the new skill they learned.
While I think student-centered learning is excellent for students who are mature enough, for my classroom, I will stick with the direct-instruction approach.
Comments
Post a Comment