This chapter is all about people’s memories. I didn’t know there were three parts of memory: Sensory Register, Short-term/working memory, and long-term memory. I’ve heard of short and long-term memory but not sensory register before the readings. From what I understand, Sensory Register is related to the short term but seems more connected to sensory inputs like smells and sounds. The book connects this form of memory to perception.
Short-term memory and long-term memory are terms I’ve heard and understand. In my field of special education, short-term memory, also known as working memory, is discussed a fair amount when looking at a child’s cognitive abilities when evaluating them for the special education program.
A common factor I see in my students in my small group math class is low working memory and low processing speeds. To try to combat this, I use repetitive steps each day. I use the same steps for different operations. I have found that providing students with poor short-term memory with various methods of solving a multiplication problem is ineffective and just becomes frustrating to the student. I realized that I was inadvertently implementing the Serial Learning strategy.
Comments
Post a Comment